d/b/a Store Locator Plus®
Founder / Programmer / Architect
2012 – Present
A successful freemium locator plugin and SaaS application using WordPress as an application foundation. Intimately involved in every aspect of product launch, maintenance, and development. Contributor to WordPress Core and Documentation. Corporate-level WordCamp sponsor for Atlanta, Charleston, and Orlando.
- Company direction and strategy
- Application architecture, design, and development
- Defining and executing quality control and testing
- Leading marketing and brand awareness, site development and styling
- Documentation and assisting support
Research Block Technologies, Inc.
Chief Technology Officer / Stakeholder
2020 – 2022
Direct Research & Development and IT Services for a ERP Software as a Service provider. Directing an in-place rewrite of a React SaaS application built on AWS cloud services. Assist in fund-raising efforts.
- Architect & code front-end and back-end application components.
- Ensure business continuity via documentation, security, backup of IT and R&D assets.
- Assist in patent review and application of blockchain technologies.
- Build financial models & projections, intellectual property reports to assist in fundraising.
Chief Technology Officer
2017 – 2020
Managing Information Technology and Research & Development for a medical marketing company in Monterey CA. Served critical role in stabilizing technology assets after sudden departure of prior CTO. Implemented modern security and service reliability standards with a team of remote workers.
- Setting system security & reliability standards.
- Ensure uptime and performance of 600+ web properties.
- Architect & implement tools to facilitate large scale website management.
- Created CI/CD and deployment repository standard for development/staging/live code and DB updates.
2017 – 2019
Technical writer for Skyword. Contracted to write several articles per month about Jetpack. Articles are user-friendly introductions to complex technical topics.
Cyber Sprocket Labs
2005 – 2012
Founder of a developers-for-hire business that grew from 2 people to 20 people in less than 5 years. $3.5M in annual contracts with organizations and companies that included the USAF, Billboard Magazine, Tommy Hilfiger, USA Football as well as many local Charleston clients.
- Corporate direction and strategy
- Sales and marketing
- Recruiting and vetting top-tier technical talent
- Software Engineer (Linux, Windows, Mobile, micro controllers, web)
Entrepreneur | Software Engineer
1980s – 2005
A self-taught programmer with a life-long passion for writing code and learning everything possible about computer science. Started entrepreneurial career in mid-20s with a successful eCommerce company. Launched several successful products and open source projects over the past couple of decades.
- Published PostgreSQL Handler for Perl – popular database interface ported into a half-dozen languages
- Founder, Charleston Software Associates – independent software and eCommerce consultant
- Successful exit of The Lobster Net for just under $1M
- Launched The Lobster Net – Time Magazine Best Sites To Shop Online 1992 & 1993
- Founder, ProActive Web Marketing – Luxury Goods eCommerce
- Pioneered foundation for SQL soundex() function while at Recital while working under contract for HP and Oracle.
- Senior Software Engineer, Recital Corporation – 4GE and RDBMS
- BS Computer Science + Applied Mathematics, UMass Lowell
Currently active with the following technologies:
- Design: Ant Design, HTML, CSS, Sass, Vue
- Versioning & Deployment: git, gitflow, CI/CD, GitHub, Bitbucket, Beanstalk App
- Tech Stack: AWS EC2, RDS, S3, ELB, EFS, EBS, CloudFront
- Sysadmin: nginx, PostgreSQL, MySQL, PHP + FPM, bash, zsh, oPcache, Redis, Apache
- Quality Assurance: phpUnit, Selenium IDE, Selenium Webdriver
- Project Management: Slack, Monday.com, Teams, Trello